Town & Country Foods Hamburg and Sirloin Filets Recalls
|Date:||April 11, 2012|
|What:||Town & Country Foods Hamburg
Town & Country Beef for Stewing
Town & Country Beef Sirloin Filets
|Why:||E. coli O157:H7|
The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced that Town and Country Foods, a Greene, Maine establishment, is recalling approximately 2,057 pounds of ground and tenderized beef products that may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7.
The following products are subject to recall:
- 5 and 10 lb. boxes of 2, 2.6, 3, and 4 oz. Town & Country Foods XL Hamburg Patties
- 5 and 10 lb. boxes of 2, 2.6, 3, and 4 oz. Town & Country Foods Hamburg Patties
- 10 lb. box containing variously weighted bags of Town & Country Beef for Stewing
- 6, 8, and 10 oz. Town & Country Beef Sirloin Filets
- 5 and 10 lb. boxes containing variously weighted bags of Town and Country Hamburg
- 5 and 10 lb. boxes containing variously weighted bags of Town and Country XL Hamburg
Each case bears a label with the establishment number "EST. 9710" inside the USDA mark of inspection. Additionally, the products contain the following packaging codes: 10952, 10962, 10972, 11002, and 11012. The products subject to recall were produced between April 4, 2012 and April 10, 2012 and were shipped to wholesale and retail establishments in Maine.
Preparing Ground Beef for Safe Consumption
Wash hands before and after handling raw meat with warm/hot (preferred) or cold soapy running water by rubbing hands together vigorously for at least 20 seconds. Also wash cutting boards, dishes and utensils with hot (preferred), soapy water and clean up any spills right away. The mechanical action of vigorous rubbing of hands and utensils/surfaces creates friction that helps to dislodge bacteria and viruses from hands and surfaces.
Additionally, warm/hot water helps to dissolve fats/foods, aiding in cleaning/microbe removal and can also assist in deactivation of pathogens.
If soapy water is not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Alcohol-based hand sanitizers can reduce the number of germs on hands in some situations. However, sanitizers do not eliminate all types of germs, including viruses.
Keep raw meat, fish and poultry away from other food that will not be thoroughly cooked. Use separate cutting boards for raw meat, poultry, and their juices and thoroughly cooked foods. Thoroughly cook ground meat such as beef to an internal temperature of 160° F, as measured with a food thermometer, before eating. Refrigerate raw meat and poultry within two hours after purchase (one hour if temperatures exceed 90° F). Refrigerate cooked meat and poultry within two hours after cooking.
The problem was discovered through company lab testing which confirmed a positive result for E. coli O157:H7. The company did not hold product pending test results, resulting in this recall.
FSIS and the company have received no reports of illnesses associated with consumption of these products. Individuals concerned about an illness should contact a health care provider.
E. coli O157:H7 is a potentially deadly bacterium that can cause bloody diarrhea, dehydration, and in the most severe cases, kidney failure. The very young, seniors and persons with weak immune systems are the most susceptible to foodborne illness.
Consumers with questions regarding the recall should contact Karen Brackett of Town & Country Foods at (207) 946-5489.
FSIS has reason to believe the following retail locations received ground and tenderized beef products recalled by Town and Country Foods. This list may not include all retail locations that received the recalled products or may include retail locations that did not actually receive it. It is important to check meat or poultry products in your possession to see if they have been recalled.
- Casey's Market – Anson, ME
- Murray Mega Mart – Auburn, ME
- Riverside Variety – Auburn, ME
- Mallard Mart – Bethel, ME
- Depot St Diner – Brownsfield, ME
- Tess Market – Brunswick, ME
- Chelsea Market –Chelsea, ME
- Mason Variety Store – Cornish, ME
- Fayette Country Store – Fayette, ME
- Cole Farms – Gray, ME
- Boynton's Market – Hallowell, ME
- Ship To Shore Store – Harpswell, ME
- Jo's Littleborough Store – Leeds, ME
- Chick-A-Dee – Lewiston, ME
- Jami K's Variety – Lewiston, ME
- Riverview Mkt & Café – Lewiston, ME
- Brettun's Variety – Livermore, ME
- Long Green Variety – Livermore, ME
- Minot Country Store – Minot, ME
- Link's Variety – New Gloucester, ME
- Oosoola's Store – Norridgewock, ME
- York's Market – Norridgewock, ME
- Mallard Mart – North Waterford, ME
- Mallard Mart – Norway, ME
- Sideline Variety – Norway, ME
- Steve's General Store – Norway, ME
- Bisson's Center Store – Phippsburg, ME
- Phil's Super Variety – Sabattus, ME
- AJ's Everything – Stoneham, ME
- Mallard Mart – West Plaza, ME
- Marketplace Café – Wiscasset, ME
Consumers with questions about food safety can Ask Heidi, a certified food safety professional.