Universal Nutrition Recalls Products Containing Whey Protein
|Date:||March 17, 2011|
|What:||Universal Nutrition products containing whey protein|
Universal Nutrition of New Brunswick, New Jersey, is recalling specific lot numbers for Gain Fast, LAVA, Real Gains, Super Whey Pro, Torrent, Ultra Mass 4500, Ultra Whey Pro and Uni-Syn because one ingredient, whey protein, has the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis.
The recall for the aforementioned products extends to all fifty states and the products were offered through a variety of distribution channels including health food stores, gyms, and internet based e-commerce sites.
The following are lot numbers involved in this recall:
- Universal Gain Fast, Vanilla Shake, 2.55 lb. plastic bottle, Lot #180104 with Exp. Date 02/10/2014, UPC 039442012159
- Universal LAVA, Orange Slush, 2.75 lb. plastic bottle, Lot #180013 with Exp. Date 02/10/2014, UPC 039442011503
- Universal Real Gains, Chocolate Ice Cream, 6.85 lb. plastic bucket, Lot #179922 A, B with Exp. Date 02/01/2014, UPC 039442011992
- Universal Super Whey Pro, Vanilla, 1 lb. bag, Lot #179881 with Exp. Date 02/01/2014, UPC 039442015945
- Universal Torrent, Cherry Berry Blast, 3.28 lb. plastic bottle, Lot #180069 with Exp. Date 02/09/2014, UPC 039442048141
- Universal Torrent, Green Apple Avalanche, 3.28 lb. plastic bottle, Lot #179883 with Exp. Date 02/07/2014, UPC 039442048165
- Universal Torrent, Cherry Berry Blast, 6.1 lb. plastic bottle, Lot #180071 with Exp. Date 02/09/2014, UPC 039442048158
- Universal Torrent, Green Apple Avalanche, 6.1 lb. plastic bottle, Lot #180072 with Exp. Date 02/10/2014, UPC 039442048172
- Universal Torrent, Sour Citrus Rush, 6.1 lb. plastic bottle, Lot #180002 with Exp. Date 02/09/2014, UPC 039442048196
- Universal Ultra Mass 4500, Vanilla Shake, 9.3 lb. plastic bucket, Lot #180100 B with Exp. Date 02/09/2014, UPC 039442013507
- Universal Ultra Mass 4500, Chocolate Shake, 9.3 lb. plastic bucket, Lot #180099 B with Exp. Date 02/10/2014, UPC 039442013590
- Universal Ultra Whey Pro, Cookies & Cream, 5 lb. plastic bottle, Lot #179951 with Exp. Date 02/07/2014, UPC 039442016126
- Universal Uni-Syn, Strawberry, 76 g packet, Lot #179911 A, B, C with Exp. Date February 2014, UPC 039442051783
Universal Nutrition is conducting this recall in conjunction with the recall being performed by the manufacturer of the whey protein itself. The manufacturer did not find Salmonella in any of the whey protein lots used by Universal Nutrition. Universal Nutrition tested the whey protein upon receiving it and again after the issue arose. In both instances, the tests proved negative for Salmonella. Further, Universal Nutrition performed over 40 analytical tests on the specific lot numbers in question with negative results for Salmonella in each and every case.
To date, there have been no positive tests for Salmonella contamination at Universal Nutrition or any reports of illness related to the products. The manufacturer of the whey protein has suspended shipments and is working with the FDA to rectify this matter.
Consumers who purchased any one of the affected lot numbers in question are asked to return the product to the place of purchase for a full refund or credit. Consumers with questions may contact Universal Nutrition directly at (732) 545-3130, Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Eastern time.
Consumers with questions about food safety can Ask Heidi, a certified food safety professional.